I talked with a brother recently who had gone from daily porn addiction to 10 days porn-free and on his way to 30 days of freedom from sexual addiction. That is awesome! Anyone ever caught in the grip of addiction of any kind knows how important these initial days of victory are as you build sobriety, one day at a time. This brother had built 10 days of sobriety after years of addiction and was joyful as he thought about 30 days of freedom. I rejoiced with him.
How did he gain his initial 10 days of sobriety?
- He got honest about his addiction with a number of people including his significant other.
- He got rid of his computer to help him get some initial traction. This isn't a permanent solution but it helped him get started.
- He attended a small group and got honest there as well.
- He recruited a squad of men to work with him on his sobriety plan.
- He made SMART goals--specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, time-bound. His were actually written goals--highly recommended.
- He engaged his heart with God in prayer and worship.
I think he's going to make it to 30 days and beyond. I celebrate this brother's aggressive pursuit of repentance. This is what true repentance looks like. Its aggressive, its communal, its got teeth in it, and it brings real victory and joy.